Pittsburgh-based Creative Leader with a passion for helping designers, developers and copywriters become the best version of themselves.
Design Mentor (Volunteer). Amazing Design People List (adplist.org).
Remote. 05/2020 – present.
Act as a mentor in a worldwide network of designers to help others become the best version of themselves. Responsibilities include reviewing and providing feedback on resumés and portfolios, providing insight into career development, and coaching designers on what to expect in the creative interview process and in different design roles.
Creative Manager: Email Marketing. DICK’S Sporting Goods.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. 01/2018 – 06/2020.
Responsible for leading, managing and developing a multi-disciplinary group of designers, developers and writers to deliver customer-centered email and text/SMS marketing for all DICK’S Sporting Goods entities.
- Sponsored and facilitated the development and ongoing iteration of our industry-leading email marketing codebase.
- Built and fostered relationships with business partners to improve email processes and communication between teams.
- Oversaw the creative development operations of over 4,000 marketing emails per year.
- Evangelized career development opportunities across the creative department in order to help identify the next generation of leaders and provide training and growth.
Manager of UI Design. DICK’S Sporting Goods.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. 07/2016 – 01/2018.
Responsible for leading and supporting the User Interface Design team working on all DICK’S Sporting Goods ecommerce websites and building internal partnerships to deliver seamless digital experiences for the DSG family of brands.
- Led creative testing to gather insights and data specific to design on the DICK’S Sporting Goods websites.
- Led the design team’s UAT efforts in a cross-functional initiative to completely re-platform the DSG ecommerce sites.
- Acted as the design sponsor in the company’s accessibility efforts to become ADA WCAG2.0 AA-compliant.
- Led a career development initiative for the designers and developers on staff to gain access to a library of continuous learning opportunities.
Interactive Art Director and Digital Strategist. CFA Institute.
Charlottesville, Virginia. 10/2012 – 07/2016.
Responsibilities at this non-profit organization included digital strategy and design, brand adherence, and art direction of our global agencies, as well as collaborate with both internal and external clients to meet B2B and B2C digital marketing needs. Digital media included design and development of multiple web properties, HTML email campaigns, social media campaigns, global advertising, user experience, and user testing.
- Selected to participate in the Future Leaders Summit training as a next generation leader at the organization.
- Chosen to participate on a 12-person team led by the CEO to improve engagement at CFA Institute during a company-wide reorganization, which led to being involved on a newly formed Staff Engagement Council.
- Led MarComm’s Strategy & Leadership group and successfully championed exercises that helped colleagues become a more cohesive team.
- Responsible for providing digital creative guidance to our offices and societies in the EMEA region.
- Helped lead and bring to life the Statement of Investor Rights microsite, a website dedicated to teaching investors what they should expect from their financial advisors.
User Experience Designer. Media General.
Richmond, Virginia. 12/2010 – 08/2012.
- Designed a new mobile alert signup process and reduced abandon rate by over 50%.
- Helped design and develop an in-house mobile platform for Media General sites.
- Created email templates for weekly promotional emails sent by over 80 properties.
- Conducted user research, gathered requirements and designed a new CMS with a focus on increasing productivity in the field and decreasing maintenance and support requests.
Lead Web Designer/Developer. Dynamic Brands.
Richmond, Virginia. 6/2009 – 11/2010.
- Designed, developed and maintained all 12 websites owned by Dynamic Brands, including multiple ecommerce sites.
- Established and maintained digital standards and rules to guide internal partners on presenting the brands online.
- Designed and developed all email marketing campaigns.
Lead Web Designer/Developer. LOGISTICS 2020, Inc.
Chesterfield, Virginia. 2/2008 – 4/2009.
- Designed and developed websites for multiple companies owned by Logistics 2020.
- Maintained all five corporate websites.
- Established website standards and rules based on strict
Web Designer. Capital One.
Richmond, Virginia. 5/2007 – 2/2008.
- Designed and developed email campaigns for Capital One’s multiple lines of business.
- Designed and developed interactive product tutorials for the company’s debit card line of business.
- Designed banner ads and landing pages for the company’s auto finance line of business.
Director of Multimedia Services. Hall + Partners Communication Architects.
Petersburg, Virginia. 5/2004 – 5/2007.
- Developed, managed and coached an interactive team through the creative process for client websites and videos.
- Designed, directed and consulted on numerous client websites, promo videos, television spots, and presentations.
- Helped establish Hall + Partners as a one-stop advertising shop. In less than two years, the agency went from print projects generating 100% of revenue to digital/multimedia projects generating over 50% of company revenue.
Digital Marketing & Strategy
Leadership & Coaching
Creative Process Improvement
Branding & Identity
Adobe CC Suite
Mercyhurst University. Erie, Pennsylvania. 1999-2003.
Bachelor of Arts in Art. Concentration in Graphic Design. Minor in Photography.
Conferences, courses and online learning
LEAN Startup & Facilitation (2019)
National Retail Federation (2018)
Innovation Masterclass (2018)
The Art of Evangelism presented by Guy Kawasaki (2017)
Think Like A Leader (2017)
Brand New Conference (2017)
99U (2016, 2015)
Design Thinking: Insights to Inspiration (2015)
Future Leaders Summit (2015)
Claritas® Investment Certificate (2014)
HOW Design Live (2014)
Facilitation: By Design presented by AIGA Minneapolis (2013)
An Event Apart (2013)
Certified Scrum Product Owner Training by 3Back (2012)
Email Experts Training by Constant Contact (2010)
Adobe MAX (2008)
Post-it® Brand Interview
Interview for an article on illustrations that incorporate their sticky notes product.
HuffPost Parents Interview
Interview for illustration work dedicated to my children to encourage parent involvement.
DaddiLife Hero Award
Award presented for my work on Lunch Note Sketch, an ongoing illustration project encouraging kindness and creativity.