Senior-level creative leader & doer with proven experience building and leading high-performing design teams, innovating and implementing design processes, and designing and producing user-focused products that make a difference in the world.
Career Prep Program Organizer. Steel City UX Ladies.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. 06/2020 – present.
Build and lead the Career Prep Program from the ground up. Responsibilities include managing the offerings, content, process, and engagement for the program. This also includes building relationships with universities, students, hiring managers, and practitioners in the area to facilitate networking opportunities, as well as offering mentoring services to Pittsburgh-based UX Designers.
Design Mentor. Amazing Design People List.
Remote. 05/2020 – present.
Mentor over a dozen designers from around the world to help them become the best version of themselves. Responsibilities include reviewing resumés and portfolios, providing insight into career development, and coaching designers on what to expect in the creative interview process and in different design roles.
Creative Manager: Email Marketing. DICK’S Sporting Goods.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. 01/2018 – 06/2020.
Responsible for leading, managing and developing a multi-disciplinary group of designers, developers and writers to deliver customer-centered email and text/ SMS marketing for all DICK’S Sporting Goods entities.
- Sponsored and facilitated the development and ongoing iteration of our industry-leading email codebase that brought our email marketing to WCAG2.0 AA compliance.
- Improved email processes and communication between teams that helped increase email production by 25% YOY.
- Oversaw the creative development operations of over 4,000 marketing emails per year, that included leading and supporting more than two dozen designers, developers and writers.
- Mentored senior managers, designers, developers, and writers on career development opportunities across the department in order to help identify the next generation of leaders.
- Implemented the first creative department Agile team and led directors and managers in setting up agile methods in their areas of expertise.
- Led a coaching initiative to improve morale and increase engagement resulting in an approximate savings of $500,000 in employee turnover.
Manager of UI Design. DICK’S Sporting Goods.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. 07/2016 – 01/2018.
Responsible for leading the User Interface Design team working on all DICK’S Sporting Goods ecommerce websites and building internal partnerships to deliver seamless digital experiences for the DSG family of brands.
- Led the design team’s UAT efforts in a cross-functional initiative to re-platform the DSG ecommerce sites, moving transactions in-house, and leading to over $1 billion in ecommerce revenue per year.
- Sponsored the company’s accessibility efforts in design to become ADA WCAG2.0 AA-compliant.
- Led creative testing to gather insights and data specific to design on the DICK’S Sporting Goods websites.
- Established UX liaison career pathing opportunities to bridge the gap between product development and digital design that improved efficiency in communication and design improvements.
- Led a career development initiative for designers and developers to gain access to a library of over two dozen continuous learning opportunities.
Interactive Art Director and Digital Strategist. CFA Institute.
Charlottesville, Virginia. 10/2012 – 07/2016.
Responsibilities at this global finance education non-profit organization included digital strategy and design across all mediums, brand guidance, and art direction of our global agencies, as well as collaboration with both internal and external clients to meet B2B and B2C digital marketing needs.
- Actively participated on a 12-person team led by the CEO to improve engagement at CFA Institute during a company-wide reorganization.
- Led Marketing & Communication’s Strategy & Leadership group and successfully implemented initiatives that helped global colleagues become a more cohesive and engaged team.
- Provided digital creative direction to our offices, societies and agencies in Europe and Middle East regions.
- Led the direction and production of the Statement of Investor Rights microsite, a website dedicated to teaching investors what they should expect from their financial advisors.
User Experience Designer. Media General.
Richmond, Virginia. 12/2010 – 08/2012.
- Designed a new mobile alert signup process and reduced abandon rate by over 50%.
- Helped design and develop an in-house mobile platform for Media General sites.
- Created email templates for weekly promotional emails accommodating the needs of over 80 properties.
- Conducted user research, gathered requirements and designed a new CMS with a focus on increasing productivity in the field and decreasing maintenance and support requests.
Lead Web Designer/Developer. Dynamic Brands.
Richmond, Virginia. 6/2009 – 11/2010.
- Designed, developed and maintained all 12 websites owned by Dynamic Brands, including multiple ecommerce sites.
- Established and maintained digital standards and rules to guide internal partners on presenting the brands online.
- Designed and developed all email marketing campaigns.
Lead Web Designer/Developer. LOGISTICS 2020, Inc.
Chesterfield, Virginia. 2/2008 – 4/2009.
- Designed and developed websites for multiple companies owned by Logistics 2020.
- Maintained all five corporate websites.
- Established website standards and rules based on strict government protocols.
Web Designer (Contract). Capital One.
Richmond, Virginia. 5/2007 – 2/2008.
- Designed and developed email campaigns for Capital One’s multiple lines of business.
- Designed and developed interactive product tutorials for the company’s debit card line of business.
- Designed banner ads and landing pages for the company’s auto finance line of business.
Director of Multimedia Services. Hall + Partners.
Petersburg, Virginia. 5/2004 – 5/2007.
- Developed, managed and coached the multimedia team through the creative process for client websites and videos.
- Designed, directed and consulted on dozens of client websites, promo videos, television spots, and presentations.
- Established Hall + Partners as a one-stop advertising shop. In less than two years, the agency went from 100% print revenue to digital/multimedia projects generating over 50% of company revenue.
Digital Marketing & Strategy
Leadership & Coaching
Branding & Identity
Adobe CC Suite
Bachelor of Arts in Art. Mercyhurst University.
Erie, Pennsylvania. 1999-2003.
Concentration in Graphic Design
Minor in Photography
Organizational Design for Digital Transformation
MIT Management Executive Education.
Completed Courses & Certifications
Psychological First Aid
Johns Hopkins University
Design Thinking: Insights to Inspiration
UVA’s Darden School of Business
Claritas Investment Certificate
Certified Scrum Product Owner
Email Experts Training