Senior-level creative leader with proven experience and passion for building and leading design teams to innovate and produce user-focused products.
Career Prep Program Organizer. Steel City UX Ladies.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. 06/2020 – present.
Build and lead the Career Prep Program from the ground up. Responsibilities include managing the offerings, content, process and engagement for the program. This also includes building relationships with universities and students in the area to facilitate networking opportunities, as well as partnering with the Mentoring Program Organizer to offer mentoring services to UX Designers.
Design Mentor. Amazing Design People List.
Remote. 05/2020 – present.
Mentor designers from around the globe to help them become the best version of themselves. Responsibilities include reviewing and providing feedback on resumés and portfolios, providing insight into career development, and coaching designers on what to expect in the creative interview process and in different design roles.
Creative Manager: Email Marketing. DICK’S Sporting Goods.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. 01/2018 – 06/2020.
Responsible for leading, managing and developing a multi-disciplinary group of designers, developers and writers to deliver customer-centered email and text/SMS marketing for all DICK’S Sporting Goods entities.
- Sponsored and facilitated the development and ongoing iteration of our industry-leading email codebase that brought our email marketing to WCAG2.0 AA compliance.
- Improved email processes and communication between teams that helped increase email production by 25% YOY.
- Oversaw the creative development operations of over 4,000 marketing emails per year, that included leading and supporting more than two dozen designers, developers and writers.
- Coached individual contributors to senior managers on career development opportunities across the department in order to help identify the next generation of leaders.
- Created the department’s innovation initiative, which laid the groundwork for improved processes and smarter team structure.
- Implemented the first creative department Agile team and led directors and managers in setting up agile methods in their areas of expertise.
- Advised on the hiring process for the entire creative department, participating and consulting on over a dozen interviews, and helping directors and managers make strategic decisions to build their teams.
Manager of UI Design. DICK’S Sporting Goods.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. 07/2016 – 01/2018.
Responsible for leading the User Interface Design team working on all DICK’S Sporting Goods ecommerce websites and building internal partnerships to deliver seamless digital experiences for the DSG family of brands.
- Led the design team’s UAT efforts in a cross-functional initiative to
re-platform the DSG ecommerce sites, moving transactions in-house, and leading to over $1 billion in ecommerce revenue in a single year.
- Sponsored the company’s accessibility efforts in design to become ADA WCAG2.0 AA-compliant.
- Led creative testing to gather insights and data specific to design on the DICK’S Sporting Goods websites.
- Led a career development initiative for designers and developers to gain access to a library of over two dozen continuous learning opportunities.
Interactive Art Director and Digital Strategist. CFA Institute.
Charlottesville, Virginia. 10/2012 – 07/2016.
Responsibilities at this global finance education non-profit organization included digital strategy and design across all mediums, brand guidance, and art direction of our global agencies, as well as collaboration with both internal and external clients to meet B2B and B2C digital marketing needs.
- Actively participated on a 12-person team led by the CEO to improve engagement at CFA Institute during a company-wide reorganization.
- Led Marketing & Communication’s Strategy & Leadership group and successfully implemented initiatives that helped global colleagues become a more cohesive and engaged team.
- Provided digital creative direction to our offices, societies and agencies in Europe and Middle East regions.
- Led the direction and production of the Statement of Investor Rights microsite, a website dedicated to teaching investors what they should expect from their financial advisors.
User Experience Designer. Media General.
Richmond, Virginia. 12/2010 – 08/2012.
- Designed a new mobile alert signup process and reduced abandon rate by over 50%.
- Helped design and develop an in-house mobile platform for Media
- Created email templates for weekly promotional emails accommodating the needs of over 80 properties.
- Conducted user research, gathered requirements and designed a new CMS with a focus on increasing productivity in the field and decreasing maintenance and support requests.
Lead Web Designer/Developer. Dynamic Brands.
Richmond, Virginia. 6/2009 – 11/2010.
- Designed, developed and maintained all 12 websites owned by Dynamic Brands, including multiple ecommerce sites.
- Established and maintained digital standards and rules to guide internal partners on presenting the brands online.
- Designed and developed all email marketing campaigns.
Lead Web Designer/Developer. LOGISTICS 2020, Inc.
Chesterfield, Virginia. 2/2008 – 4/2009.
- Designed and developed websites for multiple companies owned by
- Maintained all five corporate websites.
- Established website standards and rules based on strict government protocols.
Web Designer (Contract). Capital One.
Richmond, Virginia. 5/2007 – 2/2008.
- Designed and developed email campaigns for Capital One’s multiple lines of business.
- Designed and developed interactive product tutorials for the company’s debit card line of business.
- Designed banner ads and landing pages for the company’s auto finance line of business.
Director of Multimedia Services. Hall + Partners.
Petersburg, Virginia. 5/2004 – 5/2007.
- Developed, managed and coached the multimedia team through the creative process for client websites and videos.
- Designed, directed and consulted on dozens of client websites, promo videos, television spots, and presentations.
- Established Hall + Partners as a one-stop advertising shop. In less than two years, the agency went from 100% print revenue to digital/multimedia projects generating over 50% of company revenue.
Digital Marketing & Strategy
Leadership & Coaching
Creative Process Improvement
Branding & Identity
Adobe CC Suite
Mercyhurst University. Erie, Pennsylvania. 1999-2003.
Bachelor of Arts in Art.
Concentration in Graphic Design.
Minor in Photography.
Conferences, courses and online learning
Psychological First Aid by Johns Hopkins University (2020)
LEAN Startup & Facilitation (2019)
National Retail Federation (2018)
Innovation Masterclass (2018)
The Art of Evangelism presented by Guy Kawasaki (2017)
Think Like A Leader (2017)
Brand New Conference (2017)
99U (2016, 2015)
Design Thinking: Insights to Inspiration by UVA’s Darden School of Business (2015)
Future Leaders Summit (2015)
Claritas® Investment Certificate by CFA Institute (2014)
HOW Design Live (2014)
Facilitation: By Design presented by AIGA Minneapolis (2013)
An Event Apart (2013)
Certified Scrum Product Owner Training by 3Back (2012)
Email Experts Training by Constant Contact (2010)
Adobe MAX (2008)
Post-it® Brand Interview
Interview for an article on illustrations that incorporate their sticky notes product.
HuffPost Parents Interview
Interview for illustration work dedicated to my children to encourage parent involvement.
DaddiLife Hero Award
Award presented for my work on Lunch Note Sketch, an ongoing illustration project encouraging kindness and creativity.